Q: What does the application process look like?
A: Applications for Vasey, Kelly, Handa, and Nuclear Policy Fellowships are accepted year-round and contingent on availability. The Korea Foundation Fellowship applications will be announced in a PacNote and via Pacific Forum' social media accounts. If you do not receive PacNotes and PacNet Newsletters, sign up here.
Q: What does Pacific Forum look for in an applicant?
A: Your background or area of interest should reflect the fellowship you are applying for. Your research proposal is a key component of your application.
Q: How long does it take to receive notification?
A: Notification time varies from 1-2 months. The earlier you submit your application to your projected start date, the better.
Q: What kind of obligations do fellows have during their fellowships?
A: Pacific Forum senior staff will provide guidance and consultation for fellows as they conduct their self-directed research. The final product will be of quality to be submitted to a refereed journal or be published in the Pacific Forum's Issues & Insights series. In addition to conducting self-directed research, fellows will support other Pacific Forum research programs and activities including:
- Attending HIF (Honolulu International Forum) meetings.
- This is an exclusive breakfast meeting held once every 1~3 months featuring senior security experts and attended by a number of Pacific Forum’s biggest local supporters;
- Fellows are invited to engage in the discussions to showcase our bright and intelligent next generation leaders for our donors; and
- If Pacific Forum Staff need help, arrive early and assist them with meeting and greeting VIP guests.
- Take initiative during Young Leader (YL) programs. Fellows will receive priority over YL candidates worldwide to attend relevant conferences. This privilege comes with high expectations to display leadership during and after the YL conferences.
- Lead discussions during YL programs (you must be prepared and well-informed enough to lead any session on the YL agenda);
- Lead post- conference projects; and
- Provide the Director with constructive feedback regarding the YL programs and participants.
Q: Does Pacific Forum have language prerequisites?
A: At a minimum, research fellows should be able to speak and write in English.
Q: What kind of stipend does Pacific Forum provide?
A: A modest cost-of-living stipend of $2,500 a month is provided for Vasey, Kelly, Worldwide Support for Development-Handa, and Nuclear Policy Fellows.
Q: Does Pacific Forum provide housing?
A: Pacific Forum does not provide accommodation during your fellowship so it is recommended that you arrange for housing before arriving in Honolulu. Contact our office should you want to correspond with our current fellows regarding their experiences. Many landlords require a security deposit and/or the first and last month’s rent upfront. This can be up to $1,500-$3,000 depending on the rental rate. Given that your first stipend will take 2~3 weeks to process, you should plan your finances accordingly. It is recommended that you arrive with at least $2,500 to cover initial moving/living costs.
Q: What kinds of public transportation options does Hawaii have?
A: Pacific Forum will reimburse you for monthly bus passes. We recommend (and previous fellows would agree) that living on a bus route is the easiest way to get around in Honolulu. Although taxi cabs and Uber/Lyft are options, they are quite expensive and are not covered by Pacific Forum. Walking and bike riding are also options. Bike lanes are available on some main roads and a bike sharing program (Biki) is available in most parts of central Honolulu.
Q: Can I get in contact with current fellows?
A: Yes. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 521-6745 (Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. HST) so we can connect you with one of our fellows.
Q: Where is the Pacific Forum located?
A: The Pacific Forum is based in downtown Honolulu on the island of Oahu. The office is located at 1003 Bishop Street, Pauahi Tower 1150, Honolulu, HI 96813.